Sunday, November 05, 2006

Pushing Blocs Eastern


Sitting in Lollie's Hostel in Dresden. I've now been here five days and have greatly enjoyed myself. I arrived Wednesday night at 10pm. Unfortunenly(or, maybe fortunently) I didn't arrive on two wheels with legs pedaling. The last day of riding the bike brought me to the fairy tale town of Hameln (from the Brother Grimms "the Pied Piper"). Hameln was alright but the hostel was outta commission and the cheapest place I could find to stay was 45€. Too high for my account. That night in Hameln the wind was swirling, leaves chaotically twirling, and the rain splattering against the window pane. I started to think that tomorrow my bike journey may have to take a break. My left knee was also in some serious pain from going to hard the past 4 days. Upon contemplation of my next move I decided to wake up in the morning and get a train across the former cold war boarder to the famous battle-scarred city Dresden.
Dresden is a culturite's heaven. Art studios, cafes, bars, independent clothing establishments, and Turkish kebap eateries line the graffiti decored streets. The city center is small enough to walk through in under an hour. Since 90%+ of the city was destroyed in the waning days of the European theater in 1945, most of the buildings are new for European standards. (I couldn't imagine the magnificence of Europe in the years precluding the first World War, and even before the second. Damn Germans). There are stil some old churches and government buildings that have been here for hundreds of years and which are pleasing on the eyes. A few times here I thought of San Franicsco and what it must of looked like before the earthquake and subsuquent fire that destroyed vast swaths of America's greatest city.
My next plan is to head up to Berlin...uhhh, the big B, and then make a few day trip to Postdam. Then I'll come back down here, stay for maybe another week, and then hop on a train that'll drop me off in Prague starry-eyed and rosy cheeked. Germany is awesome, I can't believe in my preliminary plans I was looking to avoid it. Word of advice: Come to Dresden.

Tidbits
Reading: "Chronicles: Vol. 1" Bob Dylan
Drinking: The original "Budweiser" from Czech. Amazing.
Thinking: Girls get better looking the furthest east you go...stopping of course at the Ural Mountains.
Hoping: To see good live music somewhere in Berlin.
Wishing: All of you could spend time out here with me.

Peace and Love,
Tyler James Elwell...beatch!

No comments: