Friday, November 24, 2006

Oui, Oui


Bare feet on a hard wood floor, sheltered from the wind and rain, sipping on a strong cup of Guatamalen coffee, inside a cozy apartment in Paris. Could I ask for more. Maybe a loved one. Got that too. My brother is in the city as well. Sometimes things just work out.
I arrived yesterday morning from Antwerp, Belgium. Antwerp was very interesting. I hadn't envisioned headed to this northern port city in any of my plans. But in Berlin, yes almost three weeks ago, I met a man, who prefers to be called a "universal assistant". Baba D...is his name and this UA has been travelling the world since 1992. Bali, India, Brazil, you name it. Baba looked and talked as if he was well traveled; the hair from his chin 6 inches long, the rest of the beard only about three or so, and the tips of his blond hair well past his shoulders. He speaks nine languages including Balinese and Hindu. We had many conversations, in English, about life. He claims to never have drank coffee and hasn't touched booze in 25 years. He says when he did drink it was enough for three lives. He always found ways to incorporate the Mayan calender in life. From what I understand this time keeper is based on the moon, not the sun, and the 9 month cycle it takes for babies to be born. Honestly, I don't really get it but Baba says there's nothing to get, it just is. Anyway you can check out one of his websites here.
Basically I went to Antwerp because I had to head west from Germany to get nearer to Paris and in Antwerp there was a cheap place for me to stay. It was diffinitely a great learning experience: I was exposed to spirituallity, theories and esoteric beings. Of all the reasons to come to Europe(the food, the sights, the beer, the history) meeting new people and listening to their stories was and is the most important thing to me. To some degree we're in a bubble back home and its great having that bublle popped and understanding this world encompasses so many diffeent lifestyles and viewpoints.
So now I'm in Paris looking forward to meeting up with Co and his girlfriend for lunch. Where I guarantee I'll have a coffee, and an onion soup (here it isn't French, it just is).

Quickly:

Reading: "Midnight's Children" by Salman Rushdie
Eating: So much cheese I'm lactating...just kidding...about the lactating part
Hoping: I'll get one sunny day in Paris
Excited about: Seeing Co and eating the stinkiest cheeses right thenand there
Looking forward to: Prague and drinking the finest beer on the planet with Mitchell B!!!

Peace on Earth,
Tyler J. Fox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tye, Maureen Waugh here. I finally got you blog address from your Mom yesterday at Mo's b-day. What a great trek you're on and what a great life/learning experience. Keep the peace and share the love from us Americans who aren't happy with our government and particularly the war. Love you, Maureen