Monday, October 16, 2006

Bridging the Bosphorous


So here I am writing in the wee hours of the morning unable to sleep past 5 cause of my jet lag. I woke up and decided to head outta the dorm room and read a bit. At quarter to 6 I started to hear blaring loud speakers. The singing of the Koran, which is a call to prayer for all devout Muslims, comes from speakers atop Mosque minerets jetting towards heaven. 5 times a day the call occurs and you see herds of women in head scarves and men in casual dress(no shorts) heading to the various mosques. It's such a different world.
Today I'm gonna go on one of the boat taxis. I'm not sure where I'm going but I have my hostels business card so I know I'll get back. This city is interesting, beautiful and charming but I think I'm gonna take off tomorrow and head down the coast of the Aegean sea. I wanna get to the beaches and islands before the fall comes on and the temperatures drop. Along the way I'll stop at WWI battlefields (Galipoli), cities (Troy) and modern Muslim quarters where one can be sure the meat roasting is not pork.
In a city where Europe and Asia meld (not collide) I feel as though I'm in the Middle East. Hookas, belly dancers, dark complections and the divine prescence of religion are at every turn. It's a world that I have only seen in Indiana Jones movies and one that I hoped to someday experience. Well here I am Istanbul, at your gateway that is the end and beginning of not only land masses but also my previous notions of muslim life.
Till the next post.
peace and love.
Tye

No comments: